It’s the start of a new year and we would like you to make a resolution to include eye health as part of your family’s health plan. A few things to keep in mind:
1. Make sure your children receive their 1st eye exam at the age of 6 months, and then every year after that. Children’s eye exams are 100% covered every year (or every 6 months if necessary) up to the age of 18 by your BC MSP Care Card at Lucent Family Eye Care. Since they are growing so fast, so are their eyes. Let’s ensure they stay healthy from year to year.
2. Seniors over the age of 65 should also include an eye exam in their schedule every year. The majority of eye diseases give out no warning signs or symptoms and often times can be prevented or treated if discovered early on. Senior’s eye exams (65+) are 100% covered every year by your BC MSP Care Card at Lucent Family Eye Care.
3. Have your eyes examined without delay if you experience any visual changes, red eyes, pain, flashes of light, or injuries. Diabetics should have more frequent examinations. African-Canadians & Asians are at a higher risk for glaucoma and also require closer monitoring. Some of these exams are covered by your BC MSP Care Card as well depending on the nature of the condition.
4. Protective eye wear should always be worn when playing sports or working with mechanical tools or dangerous chemicals. Over 90% of eye injuries can be preventable this way!
5. Contact lens wearers should always have a proper contact lens fitting from your BC Doctor of Optometry. Contact lenses that fit too loosely will cause them to be uncomfortable and blurry with every blink. Lenses that fit too tightly will cause your eyes to be deprived of oxygen which could lead to short term damage such as eye infections that could leave permanent scars, and/or long-term damage which could cause permanent blurred vision when you get older.
6. Finally, just remember that each of us only has TWO eyes and they cannot be replaced. There isn’t a cure or treatment for every sort of eye disease or problem, so prevention is the key! Just imagine doing the same everyday activities with your eyes closed… pretty difficulty? Or even with just one eye closed…
Sometimes when you notice there is a problem, it’s already too late.
If you ever experience anything out of the ordinary, don’t hesitate to give us a call and we will try our best to answer your questions!
From the practice of:
Dr. Linda Yee, O.D.
7578 6th Street, Burnaby, BC V3N 3M3
Tel: (604) 777-7577